It is no wonder that foreigners from all over the world come to India seeking medical treatment. First of all, healthcare costs in India are very cheap compared to the United States, which is often the reason for the rapid influx of Americans into India for treatment. The situation is similar with people from Middle Eastern and African countries, which in turn is reflected in medical visa applications. Medical Visas are issued for the fiduciary purpose of receiving specialized medical treatment or treatment under the Indian drug system. The validity period for a medic/medical officer visa maybe six months or one year or the duration of treatment, whichever is shorter. The validity can be further extended by the state government/FRRO upon the presentation of a medical certificate/board of a reputable/recognized/specialized hospital in the country.
How does the Medical e-Visa work?
Getting a medical visa is a simple process. Eligible individuals wishing to receive medical assistance can quickly fill out an application providing their full name, date, place of birth, address, contact information and passport information. All applicants are required to complete a security questionnaire and pay the India E-Medical Visa fee by debit or credit card. Medical E-Visa will be sent to the applicant's email address after authorization.
Any foreigner can get a Medical Visa to India as long as they have a real health problem that needs to be addressed. So if you want to be treated in one of the thousands of specialized hospitals in the country, your visa will be approved. The applicant (patient) can have a maximum of two companions accompanying the patient to that country.
- The main purpose of the visit should be medical treatment in India.
- The applicant must seek specialist medical treatment in India which is not available in their country of origin.
- The applicant must have a medical condition that requires immediate medical attention.
- Applicants must have a referral from a recognized medical institution in their country of origin.
- Applicant must have sufficient funds to cover medical expenses and stay in India.
- Applicant must have a valid passport with a minimum validity of six months and two blank pages.
- The applicant must not have a history of previous visa violations or criminal convictions.
In addition to these criteria, applicants may be asked to undergo a medical examination and provide additional documentation such as medical reports and invitation letters from the Indian hospital or medical facility where they are being treated. It is important to note that meeting these eligibility criteria does not guarantee that the visa will be approved. The final decision on visa applications is at the discretion of the Indian Embassy or Consulate where the application will be processed.
Visa requirements for medical purposes:
- A copy of the initial medical report stating that the applicant requires specialist treatment and will be referred to a hospital in India.
- Copy of doctor's appointment letter at a recognized medical facility in India.
- Documentary evidence of his financial status.
- Friends/Family members accompanying the patient to India for medical treatment will be issued an Accompanying Medical Visa along with the patient's Medical Visa.
- A completed visa application form, available online or at the Indian embassy or consulate.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs.
- A copy of your passport and previous visa (if applicable).
- A fee for the visa, which varies depending on the duration of the visa and your country of origin.
- Travel itinerary, proof of travel insurance, and a letter of support from your home country's embassy or consulate.
Medical Visa validity and extension
Usually, a medical visa is valid for a maximum of 1 year and for the entire period of treatment, whichever comes first. This visa allows the patient to enter the country a maximum of 3 times in one calendar year. It should also be noted here that visa countdown starts from the day of issue and not from the day of entry into India. If the patient requires a visa extension, they must provide a medical certificate for this and present it to the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Foreign Regional Registration Office (FRRO). In this case, the visa is extended for another year.
The visa can be extended further, but this time the application will be processed by the Ministry of Home Affairs, which will grant or refuse the visa depending on the recommendation of the FRRO or the government of the country concerned.
Eligible Citizens for a Medical e-Visa to India -
|Albania||Andorra||Angola||Anguilla||Antigua & Barbuda||Argentina||Armenia||Aruba||Australia|
|Bosnia & Herzegovina||Botswana||Brazil||Brunei||Bulgaria||Burundi||Cambodia||Cameroon||Canada|
|Cape Verde||Cayman Island||Chile||China||Hong Kong||Macau||Colombia||Comoros||Cook Islands|
|Costa Rica||Cote d'lvoire||Croatia||Cuba||Cyprus||Czech Republic||Denmark||Djibouti||Dominica|
|Dominican Republic||East Timor||Ecuador||El Salvador||Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea||Estonia||Fiji||Finland|
|Netherlands||New Zealand||Nicaragua||Niger Republic||Niue Island||Norway||Oman||Palau||Palestine|
|Panama||Papua New Guinea||Paraguay||Peru||Philippines||Poland||Portugal||Qatar||Romania|
|Russia||Rwanda||St Christopher and Nevis||St Lucia||St Vincent & Grenadines||Samoa||San Marino||Saudi Arabia||Senegal|
|Serbia||Seychelles||Sierra Leone||Singapore||Slovakia||Slovenia||Solomon Islands||South Africa||Spain|
|Tonga||Trinidad & Tobago||Turks & Caicos Island||Tuvalu||United Arab Emirates||Uganda||Ukraine||United kingdom||Uruguay|
|United States||Uzbekistan||Vanuatu||Vatican City||Venezuela||Vietnam||Zambia||Zimbabwe|
How long does it take to get a Medical Visa for India?
You can apply online from our website ( Apply Now ) and it may take up to 3 to 5 minutes to complete the online application. You must have a credit/debit card email address or PayPal account to register. Indian Medical Visa approval is emailed after 72 hours in most cases. You are advised to apply online instead of visiting Indian Embassies or High Commissions as this is the recommended method to get Indian Medical Visa.